Monday, February 18, 2013

Pop Culture


Charles Bowen has been quoted as saying, "More students have a better knowledge of pop culture than of the constitution." I believe this to be true. Most young adults could tell you who was eliminated from American Idol, before correctly answering who is the new Secretary of State. 
According to Dictionary.com, pop culture is a noun meaning, "cultural activities or commercial products reflecting, suited to, 
or aimed at the tastes of the general masses of people.” I break this down simply as pop culture is what people discuss at the water cooler. Pop culture has become the “Did you see” or “Did you hear” conversation starters. These discussions of pop culture have replaced the age old “How is the weather?” conversation starter.

Having knowledge of pop culture in the business world today is very important. Pop culture is the easiest way to talk to the people. When in retail sales or marketing, reaching your customer base is extremely important. The easiest and quickest way to reach a diverse group of consumers, is speaking to them in popular culture terms. What is relevant and on peoples’ minds? A popular symbol or saying can change how people view a product. Many times a marketing symbol becomes pop culture and an entity in itself.




Who knew that four wrinkled grapes singing Motown would become as popular as it did. Starting as an ad for the California Raisin Advisory Board, these singing raisins soon had their own video games, television specials, comic books, and toy line. In the 1980s the California Raisins became pop culture icons, forever changing the meaning of Marvin Gaye’s “I Heard It Through The Grapevine.” Oh, and they sold a few raisins in the process too. 

6 comments:

  1. What a great post. I remember the California Raisin characters. I believe many of the items created for the campaign is now collectors. Who would ever thought dancing raisins singing "I heard it though the grapevine" would be so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too remember these raisins. I believe my mom helped me order each one of them by using box tops and $1.00 or some amount I cannot remember. I had them as action figures and Christmas ornaments. Thanks for bringing back a great memory! Sharon, your classmate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a pop culture item I haven't thought about in 20 years. I remember the craze, and seeing one of those battery powered dancing raisins toy in Hills department store when I was really young. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

    Dustin Wissinger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Alexander! Your statement about young people knowing more about pop culture than they do about the constitution is spot on. Pop culture is something that people are becoming obsessed with and no one wants to miss out on anything for fear that they may not be part of the big thing that is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alexander,

    I fully agree with you, but I also think that even older people know more about pop culture then they do about the constitution. You see more men and women who also have to have the most trendy items in their closest, pockets and in their driveways.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked in retail before I got my degree and you are right on. Using pop culture is a great conversation started, especially in sales. I also remember the California Raisins. Great artifact!

    ReplyDelete